Tuesday 30 June 2015

What I Learnt

From these five analyses I have found the following about rock music videos:

- The band or artist are completely immersed into the video, whether it be narrative of performance, or both. For Young Volcanoes, Could Have Been Me and I Write Sins Not Tragedies, they all contain the band becoming actors within the narrative that is set up. It is also notable that the lead singer is the most involved with the plot. Luke Spiller from The Struts is the only one from the band of four that is participating completely in the narrative. Patrick Stump of Fall Out Boy is the focal point of the narrative for Young Volcanoes and Brendon Urie, lead singer of PATD! is the 'ringleader' of the whole video. For the One Republic video, the band are not a pivotal part of the narrative, but they are still in the world of the narrative as they play on the stage that the other characters are dancing to. Sugar We're Goin' Down seems to be the outlier here because the band are not involved with the narrative of the couple.I quite like the idea of going against the typical conventions of involving my artist with the narrative like this video, this might be something that I include in my final piece.
- Performance clips are consistent throughout the videos, all of the artists are performing the song on a stage-like set up. Again, I may choose to convert the conventions and include no staged performance of my artist so that my video is original, therefore more appealing.
- There is a lot of lip syncing, whether it be within the narrative like PATD! or separately as part of the performance footage like The Struts.
- Not all videos have to match lyrics with the visuals, like mentioned by theorist Andrew Goodwin.

No comments:

Post a Comment