Friday 24 July 2015

Conventional Costume

I asked Mark to dress in dark clothing that you would conventionally see in a typical rock n roll music video.
I also asked Laura and Rachel to dress in dark clothes, but maybe with a bit more bright pattern added into it.

This is the inspiration I used:



This kind of dress is conventional to rock music videos in the sense that it is dark and tight. However, giving that the song is more anthemic and classic as opposed to todays darker rock, I wanted the costume of my characters to be a bit more flamboyant. I had originally planned to have Mark in a large furry coat with black skinny jeans and Jeffery West Style boots. However, circumstances meant that we had to work with what we had and a leather jacket and brown boots were the closest we could get. Despite the change, I really feel the costumes worked. I managed to find a velvet throw which acted as a kind of cape, bringing in that element of flamboyancy and arrogance.




As for the inspiration for the girls in the video, I wanted to them to look something like this:
 


This kind of costume is also typical of women in rock music videos. It conforms to the ideas surrounding the Male Gaze theory, as the women  are appealing to the males (or females) within
rock culture.



No comments:

Post a Comment